Faithe and Begorrah! Welcome to all, step inside for a wee pint or two...

Might the door be locked, there's a key under the mat. Come on in and pour yourself a wee bit of refreshment! but remember...soon enough you'll have a crowd o' well wishers at your table and into your bottle!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Vacations are a Wonderful Thing!

Oh my goodness, I have finally returned from a wonderful visit with my Sister, Niece & Nephew...Brother-in-Law was out of town for his birthday, too bad he missed us but I know he had a good time back home with his friends.

It was Easter yet again and the Mother, the Zoie-dog and I ventured forth into the wilds of Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana via the PT Cruiser to bring our glad tidings to our family and spend a little quality time in the Big Easy.

I am very impressed with my little Cruiser or "Scruiser" as my Niece so eloquently calls it. The "Scruiser" drove a very impressive 887 miles one way (1774 miles RT) and only drew 3 tank fulls of precious petroleum to get us there. I have been unimpressed with the local gas-mileage the "Scruiser" gets. I use 2 tankfuls a week driving back and forth to work (one day - 36 miles RT) and the other etc...things I need the car for and that does not mean I drive more that 887 miles a week. That would be quite the contrary but as it has been pointed out to me, I drive with a heavy foot, and always seem to be in a hurry to get somewhere. Well, I think perhaps that is about to change in light of the ever-present and rising Petrol prices. Say that 5 times fast, uh-huh...

Anyway, the trip was a good one but was preceded by a death in my Family. I am posting a separate post on this as a small tribute to a wonderful lady who was my Aunt Shirley, one of the most gracios people I have ever known. My Aunt and Uncle spent a precious and happy 59 years (almost 60 in June) together and although they had no children of their own they have many many nieces and nephews from both sides of their family who are as much to them and they to us. Our Aunt Shirley is sorely missed by all of us, most especially I am certain by our Uncle Jim. As my family ages, I see myself getting older and want to spend more time with those I love before it is too late and have regrets. Although I can't be everywhere at any given moment I will do my best to be a part of my family and our history together.

As I have said in a previous post, my Sister now lives in Madisonville, Louisiana. A small town on the North shore of Lake Pontchartrain. We had a wonderful visit. The kids are 3 & 4 years old now. You can understand them when they talk to you and are mostly potty trained. These are 2 very important issues in the life a child, as far as I am concerned. I don't mind changing diapers and realize that as they grow older until they have children, it will be some of the last diapers I change in my family, again realizing we are all getting older...its just a new transition and is not an ending but I am somehow saddened by this as well not wanting things to change too much....OK back to the trip....

We had a great time, I again ate @ two of my favorite restaurants in the country; The Broken Egg Cafe and Friends Restaurants. We ate @ each a few times and I again had many of my favorites and a couple of new ones, including the Eggs Benedict, and Bourbon Street Shrimp and an Abita Seasonal Brew called Strawberry Ale, my Mom had her usual O'Douls and my Sister had a drink called the Taubinator. Those were some good groceries I tell ya. While we were visiting my Sister repainted her master bath and redecorated as well. We did a lot of Antiquing and general shopping in the little shops in all the surrounding communities including; Covington, Mandeville, Abita Springs and Madisonville, of course. It was a very pleasurable trip. Easter Sunday brought the Easter Bunny, of course, and Easter Egg hunts and Grandma passed on her childhood tradition of making an Easter Cake with Jelly Bean nests made of Coconut. Our Grandmother did the same for her children and so my Mom passed it down to her children and grandchildren. Although, in light of their ages Grandma chose to make cupcakes instead of a larger 3 layer coconut cake. The kids were just as happy to have a kid sized cake anyway. It was so much fun and we took lots of pictures...

Since everything in Louisiana is a parish instead of a county you can only guess there is a very large Catholic community. The center of the French Quarter is one of the oldest Cathedrals in the country and the oldest in Louisiana, St. Louis Cathedral. In the St. Tammany Parish in the town of Madisonville is the parish church of St. Anselm. We were not able to attend Mass here this year but it is a beautiful little parish church. I especially like to see a Crucified Jesus instead of the more liberal open armed welcoming Jesus on many crosses in Catholic churches across the country. I am more reminded of what Jesus died for when I have to see him Crucified and brings me closer to him in my faith than to see a Jesus welcoming me with open arms...

This parish's Saint has a particularly interesting history. You can read about St. Anselm by clicking here. I hope everyone had as Happy and Easter season as I did. Remember although Easter Sunday has come and gone, the Easter Season is not over there are 15 more days in the season so take some time and reflect on what is that Jesus Christ did for you over 2000 years ago and what you need to do to be more like him...

No comments: